View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
sprint_9

Re: Help with Wiring Alternator etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontitruck View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a 65 LS project that had zero wiring run when I bought it. It came with an American Autowire kit which I have been running. What I'm wondering is if the way I have it mocked up now will work.

I've ran a 6 ga Alt wire to the battery thru a 200amp fuse, and a 10 ga Alt wire to AAW connector where solenoid wire goes to the harness (purple) and a Battery positive run through a 200 amp fuse to solenoid.

Thanks
So your two wires coming off the battery, one of them a 6 gauge goes to the alternator and is fused at 200 amps. The other goes to the starter and is also fused at 200 amps? What gauge is the stater wire from the battery, how long is it?

200 amps can be used on a 6 gauge wire, but only if the length is at or below 3.5 ft. Im guessing you are over that? If you are then you need to reduce the fuse size or upsize the wire. How many amp alternator are you running?

Wire length has to be known as it is directly proportional to how many amps you can run on it safely. On high amp stuff like an alternator I like to calculate with a 2% voltage drop to have a layer of safety.

I personally would probably run the AAW 10 gauge wire down to the starter and keep it off the top of the engine while also being able to loom it together with the purple solenoid wire.

http://www.offroaders.com/technical/...gauge-to-amps/
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote