View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 86 chevy crew cab 12 valve swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
Actually I haven't decided which way I am going with a controller yet. There are a few guys that are using a GM trans module from an 06 avalanche with an 8.1 motor and the ally 6 speed, then they are reprogramming it to work with the cummins then tweaking it with efi live. Another route is using a medium duty application allison controller but with that route, you don't get the tow/haul or the tap a shift functions and I don't believe you can use efi live with the allison system. I still have some time before I have to make that decision, hoping stuff for the 6 speeds gets a little more refined when I get to that point. Its amazing how fast things add up though huh? When I started my project I figured ten grand would come close to puttin it together, boy was I wrong. When I first started, I just wanted to throw the motor in the truck with a 4l80e trans I had kicking around and drive it but its hard to tear something that far apart and not do a nice job putting it back together. I dont want a show truck for sure but I want it to look nice and be reliable. Its a case of "while I'm at it"....
I have an allison PCM and a partial harness I thought about using. Just unsure as of yet. Mine is only a 5 speed as well. I just don't like the idea of building a truck, using the a1000, and then hating it because I can't tune it without a trip to allison 20 times until it's right. Or, spend $1800 for Scott's controller. Too much money.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote