View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
71c10longbed

71 Long bed build - orange crush

I figured I should start a build thread even though I am three years into it.

It is an orange and white 71 c10 custom deluxe long bed. 350 with 3 speed on the column.

Some history on the truck. My father in law purchased it new in 1971 and was his daily driver until the mid-90's. It then became an extra truck for anyone in the family to use. Somewhere around 2005 the q-jet carb started leaking and the truck sat for 11 years. My mother in law called me and said they were donating it unless I wanted it. One carb rebuild kit, a set of points, some fresh gas and weekend later I was driving it to my house. That may have been the most harrowing 12 miles I have ever driven. Ball joints and brakes were non-existent. The exhaust was completely rusted out. It was burning oil at an alarming rate. And during the 11 years it sat, it became a very nice home for rodents. You know what likes rodents?? Snakes...one very big black snake made an appearance through the passenger kick panel vent.

Since then I have redone the front end, brakes, brake lines, new tires and rallye wheels, ujoints, mid-ship bearing, slight engine overhaul. My goal was to get it mechanically sound, repair the driver rocker panel rust and get it to paint, then interior. Tackling the driver side rocker opened a rusty can of worms that I am still working on. Inner, outer rockers on both sides, some floor patches, cowl patches, interior roof patches, cab corners are all in various state of progress. I will start posting pictures of my work.

Attached is a picture in my garage on the lift and in various stages of disassembly.
Attached Images

71c10longbed is offline   Reply With Quote