View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Originalthor

Re: 1968 Chevrolet "Slow" and "Quiet" Build

Hey man long time no text. Lol its gonna be interesting. I should of called you up for the tear down, but me and the boy got it done he had fun ripping the bed apart and using the impact. Did pretty good to for being 6. Have you hauled yours into the garage yet. I could use some bodyman expertise on my cab shes a little ruff in crappy spots.

Since I'm on ill tell a little more on my build. So rounded up the buddies, a trailer and a extra truck to drag it on the trailer and went for a drive. Going off a google map and some explanation from the father inlaw on where the trucks were we found them.

Got to the brown one and it was 40 yards through tall grass and face first into a swamp. No diff and frame sunk halfway in the dirt. Like couldn't even see the trailing arms. Cab was one of the worst I've ever seen. But oddly enough the box sides were in good shape minus missing a tail gate surprise surprise. So that one wasn't going anywhere atleast not without a tractor.

So off through the field we go to find the other two. I only had my buddy with the second truck there for a few hours cause he had to take his daughter to a bday party, we were under the gun now cause who know what the other ones are going to be like to get out after seeing the brown one.

2 Miles later driving through 16 inch canola stubs we found them. I wanted a fleet side and new there was two of them let go for green. Get there and was like damn that's not cool. Must of been hit by something when the car that was in the middle of the blue and green trucks was drug out cause the father inlaw doesn't remember it being like that except the grill missing. It was pretty rusty though, you open the doors and and the back half of the cab was wanting to fall apart. Lost cause accept for all the pretty crome trim.

Old blue which is originally the inlaws truck was the next candidate and was looking promising. Lucky enough it was sitting on rims under the drums so was far enough up out the ground that the grass was only polishing the paint. Did a quick walk around and found that its in pretty good shape minus where the hammer head put the hood hing through the vent window from when the fender was jacked. Let load her up only got like 2 hours to do this. It got no tires that's ok the green one has 2 on the front and there's a pile of tires and rims 20 feet away we will find the other two in there. Well good luck all were turd tires or 5 lug. Well shoot but after scrounging through the junk we found two more. 3 held air and one was done. Next step was finding lug nuts out of 48 lug nuts that should of been there I had found 4 on and that's all I could find. Other 4 were on the green truck. There goes another hour of pissing around great.

Time to drag it through a maze of junk and cars. 6 tow straps and like 3 chains we made it to the truck so buddies brand new dodge was still in the field instead of driving in through the junk. He was in a hurry so next thing you know I am getting dragged at like 10 km/h though this junk with 3 locked tired and a small steering wheel that was barely holding on with the nut. Made it out without a scratch. I jack knifed the truck and trailer and started getting it on but with three seized tires it fought the whole way and got it half way there and buddy had to leave. That's ok I brought the back up chain hoist. Another hour of pulling on chains and a small heart attack it felt like it was on. Yay.

Anyways enough chit chat for the day got to take the kid to hockey. Cant forget the pictures though. Should of took more but ohwell.
Attached Images

Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote