View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

Re: Is my thermostat stuck open

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
We used to think that changing to a lower-temp thermostat was a good way to boost performance in a subtle way. With the computer controlling the way the engine operates based on the inputs that it gets from the various sensors, that isn't always the case. I guess that's part of the reason for getting a Programmer, huh? Changing parameters is just another part of the "cure".

Wish I had a programmer for my '96 4.3......yeah, from what I read it's the same one that works for 5.0 and 5.7's.

Programmers aren't worth crap anyways. A custom tune is the way to go. They talk about them a bit on FSC, there's several different places that do it. It's like a programmer (particularily 88-98 trucks, they don't do crap to these trucks, even Vortecs) is a 4 cylinder. A custom tune then is a big block with nitrous and a blower. Programmers only do some much, which isn't much at all anyways. A custom tune you can program for anything you have... intake, exhaust, cam, headers, any drivetrain/engine modifications, and it will program the computer to perform with those mods, not just program the computer to "perform" with different trans shift points, and that's all. Unless you have access to a high dollar scan tool, which most people don't ata 4-5 grand price tag, you can't change much of anything with a programmer.

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote