View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #31
mrjata

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

Lots of good ideas here. I have learned over my 40 some years that if you start by optimizing what is there first is a good place to start. I am a huge fan of Taylor wires! For these trucks, Spiro Pro wires are the way to go. VERY low resistance and no radio noise (and cool colors if that is what you need). I would NOT do a cool air intake, that will hurt mileage. I would actually let the motor take in the warmer air from the motor. Open elements are cool if it doesn't rain. K&N or like that is great for flow.

Not a fan of carb spacers. A good dual plane intake, either stock or raised is fine. Go with Performance Distributor module and coil! This is a must. But you better have the Taylor wires I mentioned. Stockers will explode!. Gap plugs at about .050-.060, really! The ign. upgrade is good for a few mpg. I do this on all the trucks/cars I have had. Going to Taylor wires on my 2012 Silverado as soon as the motor is broken in. My 2005 Silverado 1/2 T got 27.2 mpg with a 5.3. That is 65mph on the hwy.

Carb is up to you. Just read your plugs, this is huge! Very little color on the insulator is what you want, lighter than cardboard. I have run Holley a lot over the years, all sizes and configs. The one that had the best milaeage was the 4010 body style that they dropped. BUT! Summit picked up the casting rights. Take a look. the whole top comes off. No gas spill changing jets. They have annular discharge boosters rather than the down leg or "dog" leg boosters (i.e. more efficient). The regual Holley guts work except the top body gasket. No other gaskets are below the fuel level. Cool huh?

On the dist, I always ran the manifold vac. and not ported. On a 350, I run about 34-36* of total advance all in by 3500. Depends on what your motor/cam likes.

Was playing with converters, a 2500 stall works great on the street. Get a Gil Younger valve body kit for the 350TH. They run cooler, no slip, last for ever. Oh ya, add a cooler always.

this is getting long... Have heard about running synthetic lube in the rear end, just not made up my mind there.

the bottom line? Drive like an old man, take your time, keep the right foot light and gradual. If you need to be there 30 min. ago, you should have left earlier.

Keep up the great site!! I have open ears, let me know what works for you, please!!
mrjata is offline   Reply With Quote