View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
SilverMiner

Re: Burb rear window switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw View Post
Next thing to try is the switch behind the key-lock in the tailgate.
Anyone know a source for this switch?

Also - here is a good reference thread if anyone is playing along at home....
https://ck5.com/forums/threads/subur...repair.288063/
swissarmychainsaw - I just went through all of this with the tailgate in my 1980 Suburban, so I can understand your frustration.

It appears as though you are approaching the stage of "throwing parts at the problem". Before you get carried away with a credit card and the LMC catalog, consider adding an additional ground.

Every time somebody has an intermittent electrical problem on these boards, some wiseguy jumps in and says "check your grounds". It's a cliche because it is so often true. The electric window motor in the tailgate gets its ground through the tailgate itself. Depending upon your rust situation or general condition of the tailgate, the ground path may not be good. In my case, the window would go up so far, start to engage the window frame rubber, and then halt. Giving it a "helping hand" would almost always solve the problem because what I was really doing was flexing the tailgate a sufficient amount to re-engage a proper ground. Eventually, even the helping hand stopped working.

Solution: attach a 10 or 12 gauge ground wire to the window regulator on the driver side in a way that it won't interfere with the movement of the regulator arms. Then run the ground wire into the main wiring loom that exits the tailgate also on the driver side and connect the ground wire to a good location on the frame or body. I am of the opinion this has an excellent chance of solving your problems, but then again it may not. At least with a proper ground path for the motor you can concentrate on other possibilities.