View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 12:15 AM   #1
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

87 c-10 r-10 pulse wiper options

Mann, time invested in this is gnarly.

this may help someone that has a wiper motor that operates slow... painfully slow:

I un bent the 4 tabs that holds to 3 pin connector housing cover, then removed the center winding/drive assembly. Communicator looked good, no grooves, brushes looked good... got a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and wiped down the bushing and mating surfaces, added the only grease I had, transmission assembly goo, to those areas, reinstalled and... well, wipers were definitely faster... no delay, which is the whole point here, but the wipers definitely are way faster, id say as good as new.. for how long? I don't know.

My truck is a 1987 R-10 Silverado, all the options... pretty sure pulse board no good as the wiring is good and installed a new stalk switch and pulse seems to be intermittent. I cannot find any info on rebuilding the pulse board, nor have the know how to trouble shoot the board either... (The switch had a broken wire in the column aswell)

Ive been looking at other cars of the era and they have other boards, the switch's are different .. and the wiper motor pinouts are also different, from the research, it looks as if most of them get power from the wiper switch, vs ground so not going to be plug n play.

As far as the time invested: I've researched a pretty cool aftermarket option for pulse wiper upgrade, $650 for a wiper motor, adapter bracket, separate wire harness, and a pulse switch designed for 84 and lower? Its c-10 with the pulse selector on the cluster bezel. Nothing for 85-87 style with pulse on the column, plus it needs another hole in the firewall...

After searching, found the motor they use on rock auto for cheap, n.o.s GM 50 + shipping, bought it and wired it up per schematic matching the motor just to play with it. works as designed in high and low speeds... so far the only advantage is its cheaper than Factory... well, cheaper motor, not solution, smaller motor than c-10 and different style of drive, inductive magnet motor v/s permanent magnet motor which is the more modern ones. Not sure if the old inductive magnet motors are the same internals.... New wiper motor drives a plastic gear which fails and breaks or strips if the wipers are bound...

Spent about a month, lol, on the ardunio code, trying, tweaking and posting up for advice on problems and have a working setup in tinkercad. Next step would be to do a prototype board but I will need to swap out the wiper switch for a OBS. The 87 pulse circuit resistor strip might not be a resistor strip as It measures, but might be something else... its definitely not clicky like modern wipers, it feels like a potentiometer... it does vary resistance and in my tinercad sketch, it works based on the programming but the ones actual detents with actual set resistors is ideal.

long story short, today I picked up the truck from storage, pulled the wiper motor off, measured mounting points and its center. Did the same for the new modern wiper. Drew it up in a cad program and now have the template. I didn't get a chance to make any brackets, but decided to take the motor apart and lubed it up (as stated in the first part of the post).

Besides moving forward with a custom pc board and all that goes with it..

Anyone have a solution to getting pulse wipers without going the 600+ aftermarket non column pulse option or continuing down the custom wiper project rabbit hole I seem to be going down

thanks,
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote