View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
rfmaster

Re: CS-144 140amp alternator upgrade howto

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
The difference between the 2 upper brackets in how far they sit forward is about the same thickness as the upper bolt boss on the alt. I took a stud (3\8) re-taped the alt to fit that size\thread and locktited it into the alt and then installed the alt with the upper boss behind the bracket and a nut and washer outside for adjustment. It's a TIGHT fit. You might have to file a little off the alt to clear the bracket. Done to a friends tow truck years ago and its still ok. jim
The Upper Bracket modification can be avoided all together by going to a turnbuckle style tensioner which also doubles as a bracket.

From electrical perspective The 'L' circuit must have 50 to 300 Ohm 5Watt series resistor to prevent CS-144 internal circuit damage. I do not know if commercially adapter harnesses (CS-144 to SI-10) include this resistor. It is very easy to check.

During my JY expeditions I have not seen CS-144 with V-belt pulley. Most of the time I find CS-144 alternators on front wheel drive Cady's (4.5, 4.9L) equipped with serpentine belt. If you are looking for good JY unit look for a later CS-144 design distinguished by a larger rear bearing.

Removing multi-rib pulley can be a royal pain, but this can be easily accomplished. The OE multi rib pulley is commonly installed with wedge style tapered collar. To remove pulley use impact wrench driver with 15/16" socket to remove securing nut from that alternator shaft. The nut should easily break loose assuming that shaft has not been damaged or severely rusted. Removal of the wedge collar is weird in a sense that you need to push pulley towards the fan. A fraction of an inch movement will release the tension pressure on the tapered collar. This can be achieved with a piece of pipe or a socket. I found that a 1-1/16" socket to do the job.
Set the alternator on the wood surface then insert a pipe or socket inside the pulley making sure that it does not press on the tapered collar but just on the pulley itself and then strike on the socket firmly and squarely. Once the tension is released on the tapered collar the pulley should come loose. Couple of taps on the side of the pulley may be required. Once pulley is off replace it with pulley of your choice. For V-belt applications I use Powermaster PWM-111 single grove pulley available from summit for about $8.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote