View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #72
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Well, I’ve been busy the last few weekends getting the body on the Suburban squared away before the cold weather sets in. I actually had a deal going to trade a left over 4.3L from another project to a body guy who was going to do this work. As usual when doing trade work with body guys, this guy keeps stalling and stringing me along for months so I gave up and just did the work myself. I am by no means a body man but I did have some auto body training in High School…..here she goes…

This was the ugliest spot on the truck that was really bothering me. The lower portion of the right rear quarter panel had a good size body filler crack as well as some surface rust growing.

Yep, found the cause of the body filler crack. Looks like some lazy SOB did not weld the dent puller holes last time it has work done on it. Body filler absorbs moisture where holes should be filled before adding body filer or things like this happen….cracks and rust.

I welded the holes shut, ironed out the dents a bit more then added fresh body filler

In primer

Then the rear door area had some surface rust growing as well

If you ever do any surface rust repair work one of these spot sand blasters are a must have tool. I went through 250 lbs of sand throughout this project.

After sand blasting, sealing and glazing putty

In primer

Various spots

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote