View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #16
SalvagedSouls

Re: 55.1 Chevy 3100 Bare Metal Build

Thank you all for the interest in my build! I've spent several lunch breaks reading through builds on this site and I am really looking forward to contributing as much detailed information as possible. My goal is to have my barn/shop insulated, wired and ready for use by mid March. I with the assistance of my father have built the barn ourselves and will finish it together one weekend at a time. My trucks are currently stored inside at his shop but with having young kids it is hard to find the time to get away and work on them there. Hopefully having a shop at home will allow me to spend a little more time in the shop.

@ Laid_Out_50: I'm not a painter by profession, but I would think that as long as you prepped the surface properly before applying the clear coat you should expect roughly the same durability as a traditional base & clear coat paint job. Rust is inevitable if you actually drive a vehicle. Even brand new vehicles seem to show significant signs of rust some before being paid off here in the Midwest. Most often the rust isn't visible for quite some time until the paint begins to bubble up. At least with a bare metal truck you will be able to tell well in advance if you are going to have any trouble spots before significant damage is done. I have never had a bare metal truck before so others may have first hand advice. I plan to talk to my local auto paint supplier and hot rod shop before spraying clear.

Here is a picture of the progress made on the shop as of last weekend. I am hoping to have the backside buttoned up this weekend and the front well underway. I have to build the two 5' x 12' sliding doors and frame up/install the service door on the right side which will slow things down a little.
Attached Images

1955.1 - 3100 Bare Metal Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691261
1965 - Buick Special & 1965 Buick Skylark
SalvagedSouls is offline   Reply With Quote