Thread: 47-55.1 Drive Line Placement
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Drive Line Placement

NO you DO NOT mount the engine and trans so that they line up in a straight line with the pinion of the rear axle. I don't know why people come up with the nonsense that the driveshaft has to run in a straight line from the trans center line to the rear axle but I see it too often.

Ford has run that setup since 1957 with the offset pinion and they don't have any more U joint wear issues than GM or any other manufacture.

What it is, is that some guys are so anal about everything having to line up in a straight line and that the driveshaft cannot angle off slightly because it ruins the picture they have in their mind of how it should be while not affecting the function in the least.

I have seen guys who are so worried about the angle of the driveshaft that they cut one side of the Ford Rear shorter to center the pinion rather than center the pumpkin between the frame rails and that looks terrible in my estimation.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote