View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
stealthy '69
'69 Chevy SWB

Re: Project: No Name

And a shot of the stamping on the hoop....

They are a little rusty but nothing a wire wheel/brush and some elbow grease can't fix. Oh and these.....

Now for that pesky chrome. I was always told by my grandfather, "Chrome won't get you home!" I know cheesy but I've kinda lived that way. Anyway, I had a few good pics of the clean up but I think I forgot to save them on my phone. I read a little online about muratic acid working to etch chrome for paint. So i gave it a shot. By the way, I've used it before so I knew I needed GOOD gloves and other equipment, so I took the necessary precautions. Here's a pic during the acid bath.

It turned green right from the start. I'm told that's good, it means it's working on the chrome. I wasn't trying to strip them, just etch them enough for some paint to stick. Only time will tell it it does. If not, oh well, I'm only out time and $25-30 in materials, no biggie.

Then it was back to the old trusty tools again. Look familiar?

Cleaning up the 15x 8's..

And after a quick shot of this to finish off all the hard to reach spots.. Again WEAR GOOD GLOVES. This stuff works great.

'69 Chevy SWB Fleet, Primer Black; Project No Name
'06 Chevy Trailblazer, Blueish Silver?; Wifes DD, Sold
'08 Chevy Impala SS, Silver; the new DD, AND IT IS FUN!!!
'99 Dodge Dakota R/T, Intense Blue; DD, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The tig welds are not the prettiest i have seen but they do have good penetration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
There are two things in life where penetration is really important.....and one of them is welding.
stealthy '69 is offline   Reply With Quote