Thread: EGR valve
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
ChevyTech

Re: EGR valve

I would not use what they sent you.

The POS would lead me to believe it is a positive back-pressure valve, and you need a negative back pressure valve.

Anything that comes with washers to calibrate it, is of the quality of the worst parts house junk parts.

If it is a AC Delco you bought, it is sad to see AC Delco going that direction, which I have noticed and heard of from several other people.

Many people have told me that they had a hard time finding parts. EGR valves are one of the hard parts to find a good replacement part. The TBI trucks a picky about the EGR operation of the negative back pressure valves.

Other people told me they have been able to find the original valves and they have come in a box with a newer number but have the old number on the part in the box. Some new valves still have had the 17087194 number on the valve, with new numbers on the box.

The down side of buying parts online is you can't see what you are actually getting before you buy it. I won't buy if they don't show a photo of exactly what I want. If they use a generic photo I move on to another site.

Over on the Chevytalk board you posted a link to, which I used to post on often, other people have had to search around before they could find an OEM equivalent EGR valve.

17087194 EGR valve was used on multiple engine sizes in these trucks. I have found these valve at the local U-Pull-It that look to nice to be original. I have been hording parts for my TBI truck. And no, I won't part with any of MY parts.

You should do the testing to make sure the old valve is bad. It could be plugged passages, a bad EGR solenoid, or something as simple as a bad vacuum hose.

Here are two long threads that have EGR discussion in them. Everything you need to know to test them should be there in the threads but ask me if you don't understand something.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=sea+foam

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348308
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote