View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #610
knomadd

Re: Post those wheels gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtstreetrod View Post
New guy here and new to the 67-72 trucks. I have been looking all afternoon for the answer and there are so many combinations I am not sure what will work? I am hoping someone can respond and help please
First, good luck with your purchase. Second, like cornerstone said, there is a difference between the width of the rear axle, and I believe he's correct that 71 was the year it changed, but I could be wrong. I'm not certain about 69-70 rears, but I know the 67-68 are narrower. Stepsides are also a bit different for wheel fitment than a fleetside. There isn't an easy answer because of all of these factory differences. Add into that all of the custom work some guys do and you'll blow your mind reading all of the different combos.

Here's an example. I had 22x9.5's with 5.75" BS on all 4 corners of my 71 fleetside. I had rubbing on the control arms and shock bodies up front, and the larger wheels wouldn't let the front ride or air out as low as I wanted. I now have 19x8 4.75" BS and 20x10 5.5" BS without issues, but I'm not running factory spindles or control arms. It will also depend on how wide of a tire you add to those wheels.

Your best bet would be to measure them yourself. You should always check on your own vehicle to make sure what you're buying will work, before you spend the money. Figure out what's on there now and how much more room you have to go, and use a good online tool like https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp to compare what you have to what you want. This tool isn't going to replace actual measurements, but it will sure help get you in the ballpark.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote