View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: 67-72 BigBlock 4x4s! Pos pics info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedgell View Post
Why do some trucks that under go the "knife" for the BB implant have to beat the firewall, cut the frame, or move the mounts forward? While others go through this process without a scratch? They are all the same body, and frame, no?
I've wondered that ever since I did the swap as I had major firewall clearance issues. I used all new polyurethane mounts when I swapped in the bbc and added a body lift. For some odd reason I had to make the radiator body lift pucks 1" shorter to and it appears my cab does sit a little angled and I'm sure that didn't help my firewall clearance issue.

I would like to address this issue this winter, may move the engine forward, not sure yet. Another option saw done was to drop the engine crossmember 1" - I might do a combination of things.

Here are some pics of the mods I had to make. I was stupid and didn't prefit everything before I took my truck, in pieces, to the body shop. Really couldn't take the truck back home very easily to address the clearance issue so out came the cutoff wheel to make room.

Some people have used a later model engine crossmember but I'm not sure why that helps. Maybe it sits the engine lower, I don't know.

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 04-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote