View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
56hotrodred

Re: dual electric fans question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Start with what truck this is?

There are many theories on what's best for cooling, 4 core with a mechanical fan to 2 core with a hi performance electric. Cooling depends more on how much heat the radiator will release than CFM passing through it, CFM depends on fan capabilities and can the air get out of the fan efficiently. You look at the back of a high dollar Zirgo that claims 3000 cfm and you wonder how it could possibly pass any air at that CFM while you look at the back of a Taurus or Thunderbird fans rated at approx 2300-2500 CFM and think a hurricane could blow through these fans why is it only 2500.

What radiator type? Cross flow, the old type down flow or a split core.
Brass or aluminum. I prefer brass, The physics are better for heat transfer.

How do you want to control it?
Do you want relays or Pulse width control? can it be controlled by a PCM , If yes does the PCM have hi/lo fan options?
Prefer single fan or dual or just whatever will fit?
Do you plan on running AC?
What HP does it have?

Flex-lite would not be my first choice, OEM if you can get it to fit such as Thunderbird or Taurus or Camaro, Spal

Low profile fans are usually under 1800 cfm so i would question the 2500 rating
what ever fan you choose it needs to have 80% radiator coverage, either in a single fan or a dual or multiple fans, I ran 4 9" fans to get 4000 cfm cooling a 468 BBC here in Texas in 100 degree weather, It looked odd it was a bit loud but it worked and got by all the engine obstacles.
Good timing as I was just gathering some more information to present my case so hopefully forum members might be able to see better what I am trying to do.

The truck is a 1956 Task Force that I have sitting on a shortened 1980 1/2 ton frame. I am planning on a 350 Ramjet that is rated at 350 horse and 400 foot pounds.

My radiator is a US Radiator copper/brass crossflow with what they call an 80's style core with 1/2 inch tubes on 3/8 inch centres and is a 4 row which makes it 2 5/8 inchs thick. The core measures 24 1/2 X 17 1/2.

The radiator does not have the automatic trany cooling function so will be cooled by a remote trany cooler that I have purchased on the advice of my trany rebuilder guy- a reputable shop in a nearby city.

The fan I am looking at, so far mainly because it will fit, is a Flex-a-lite dual 12 1/8 Lo-Profile s-blade with variable speed controller. It measures 26.25 X 15.5 inches and is 2 5/8 inches thick. It is rated at 2500 cfm.

Yes I will have AC.

As said the dual fans I am looking at are controlled by a variable speed controller but I am certainly open to all suggestions.

Not sure if I answered all your very good questions so feel free to fire back. Being a builder from Texas I am sure you have lots of knowledge on all things related to cooling our trucks. I really appreciate your response.

I am also open to your suggestions as I have not ordered the fans yet. I will look at Spall.

There is also a slight chance that I could gain another inch by getting some Dirty Dingo engine mount sliders but would have to put my cab back on the frame and see how much room I have. I really do not want to have to cut into the firewall to create more room. I still have the mock up engine and 700r4 trany sitting in the frame. That extra inch might allow me to go with fans that are thicker and have higher cfm ratings.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote