View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #112
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal95 View Post
Yep
Oh, damn I guess I misread that. I actually have 2 grills but plans for both, I have a '67 grill that will get welded to a roll pan and powder coated body color. And eventually the Chrome grill will get modified for my recessed rally lighting, rechromed and well another one of my goofy ideas, and riveted to another roll pan with a stretched '67 Camaro bumper mounted where the grill and pan seam is. Will probably keep the coated pan/grill assembly as spare body work given it won't exactly be an off the shelf piece at that point. Initially I'm going to do it without the lights just to get things going. BTW the plan is to do a pan on the back too and it will also get a stretched Camaro bumper, but again to get it going it'll just be roll pans front and rear. Once the Camaro bumpers are there the pans will finish off the body lines below the bumpers and provide support for the front air dam, will probably also have the little Camaro bumper guards as well to frame the plates.

Kind of an aside to that, I'm ordering punches and dimple dies for, not only the pan but also to break up some of the captive double wall stuff going on in the body. I plan on doing a row of dimpled holes, maybe 2-2 1/2" diameter on the underside of the front roll pan so the air that gets diverted by the air dam gets directed through the roll pan and into the radiator. May do brake ducts too, haven't decided yet.

Since I'm planing on powdercoating the whole body I plan on punching and dimpling the new floor ends under the door sile plates, as well as between the rockers and the torque boxes and maybe even a small row of 1"- 1 1/2" dimples on the bottom of the rockers inverted so they provide ventilation and drainage. This solves a couple problems, first lets those areas get powdercoated once things are assembled, and gets rid of the moisture retention that has killed all our rockers.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote