View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Built not bought

IMO (and we all know what thats worth) more often than not, us "build it yourselfers" still need outside help.

I really do appreciate things that Ive built with my hands, BUT.... how far do you have to go to say that you've built it yourself? Do your own body and paint? Gear set up? Transmission building? Engine building? Machine work? Upholstery?

For me, Ive always tried to do everything myself mainly because well, Ive always either been short on cash or time or both but still wanted to own a unique vehicle that I could say that I had turned nearly every nut and bolt on myself. For years I was proud of being able to say that - even of the trucks and cars that didn't run (which was most of the time).

Lately, Ive come to the realization that I probably don't have the time left (in my stay in this world) to learn the different skills well enough, the money to buy the right tools and machines and don't have the right "space" to do all of the work myself.

Sometimes it's just financially smarter to farm some or more of the work out to someone who does it for a living.

Case in point, when I built my NV4500. I thought Id cut a fat hog by doing the rebuild myself. In the end, I probably spent 3 times the cost of what a shop would have charged to build it myself. With all of the tools, mistakes (I had to take that thing apart 3 times before I got it right - meaning it had to go in and then out 3 times on the 30 degree incline driveway) that it took to get it right, I could have dropped it off at a shop and picked it up a few days later with a warranty. Warranty.. Got one of those too which means that I get to do it all over again if it ever messes up.

Pretty sure if I ever brought up any of the Wife's new shoes in the closet, that damned transmission build would get thrown back at me with the quickness!

To your point of "Thats it, no more trucks, this one's a keeper"... Im so far into my truck that its probably considered fiscal irresponsibility by most and borders on insanity by others. Kind of ironic that I do the work myself to "save money" right? At this point Im keeping the truck just to save face because there is no way in hell Im gonna be able to turn a profit off of this "investment".

In the end I think a blend of your ideas mixed with some of the work being farmed out and some of the work done "in (your) house" makes it a project that is "built not bought". Im sure you'll appreciate it, especially if you can drive it.

Do your truck your way and the way that's feasible for you to get it finished. Just post a bunch of pictures as you go. You know we'll give ya a hard time about taking it to Phantom Works if our picture addiction isn't fed!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote