View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
Coley

Smile Re: Built not bought

I've heard it....and seen it and it is more a source of amusement for me.
It you look closely at the statement 'built not bought'...its just a local marketing statement....with a bit of bragging sprinkled onto it (lol)
Reminds me of the t-shirts with the 'born to raise hell' stuff or similar stuff written on them....and then the guy wearing it is waiting his turn quietly in the starbucks line-up....lol.

A lot of people that would claim it in one area....can't claim it in other areas...so it doesn't really hold a lot of value to me in terms of meaning.
Maybe they are good mechanics...but they can't cook or can't read or can't do their own taxes or can't troubleshoot their own computer problems, etc.....you see what I am getting at.

For myself, I'm generally a pretty handy, technically skilled guy.....but I don't weld and I've never taken on any appreciable body work on a vehicle.....and I lose zero sleep over that...and it is something that I have to 'sub' out to someone in order for it to work out for me, given the amount of time and effort that I can invest.
My Dad was a carpenter and a general contractor so most of my hardskills are probably rooted there more before the vehicles.
I learned about vehicles and mechanics mostly as my cars and trucks were breaking down.....lol.....which is a good way to learn although most, including myself didn't know it at the time.

We all have skills in different areas so its best to simply appreciate them rather than trying to place them on some sort of a higher social or moral level than the next guys abilities.
Its the difference between pride vs. ego......pride doesn't need an audience.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 12-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote