View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #81
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn View Post
Updates, please?????
Sorry to say that all I have are "down-dates" instead of updates.

I've messed up my neck to the extent that I now have numb fingers and arms so I haven't been able to work on ANYTHING let alone the Porsche. Recovery is going slow because I keep ignoring the Dr. and working on stuff and blowing out my back/neck.

Secondly I have made a series of blunders in my selection of donor rear-ends for the Porsche and I am pissed off at myself so I'm busy trying to figure out what to do next. The over-all "lesson" I am teaching myself is that I don't seem to be able to do the proper amount of research before I pull the trigger. My first blunder was not understanding that Ford 8.8 rear ends only came on V8 models. So my donor car doesn't have an 8.8 it's a 2.77 ratio 7.5". Then I tried to recover from that, got all side-tracked over IRS on Tbird/Cougars and again, thought I had all the info I needed but nooooo. Effed up again and bought an 8.8 but can't use the sub frame and thought it was a posi diff but it's not.

Plan A is to use the 7.5" non-posi straight axle that came with the Mustang and just live with it for now. I continue to believe this is the best design for adapting to the Porsche.

Plan B is to tear down the IRS I bought and tear down the Porsche swing arms/spindle and see if there is any "easy" way to adapt the Ford IRS diff & axles to the Porsche IRS swing arms. This is along the lines of what Frizzlefry suggested.

So assuming that my neck recovers some day then I am going to focus on grafting the Mustang front K member over to the Porsche first instead of last. I've got to give myself more time on the rear end before I screw it up any more.

I also hope that I can learn from these mistakes and do a more careful job of fact finding before I buy my donor LS motor vehicle.

That's all I've got for now guys. Talk but no walk.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote