View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 12:19 AM   #277
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

The can't wrap it up blues

Had my window moldings professionally serviced for $500. Neat, they fixed one clip, the fronts only required polishing, and the rear moldings didn't make the cut, so I sent those to Texas for another shot at them. The guy says they'll be an easy task, see what happens, hopefully a pleasant surprise Vs I'll never see them again I'll be into window moldings 1K when done, how'd that happen, two sets cost me $50. Stroke of luck I needed the only decent molding I pulled off the rear.

I'm sending the compressor back after all, needs another look considering it drove through two boxes. According to them Fedex takes "2-3" weeks to act on a claim. So I'm not installing a compressor anytime soon. At least I can install the evap. case this weekend.

Get to install the heater box twice, I must like doing things times, happens all the time. I came up with an extra gasket and inquired, and a board member clued me onto a heater core gasket. Apparently cores are often installed without one, can't speak for factory, and I found mine without one. So I pulled the heater box, more curious than anything else, and forubd the gasket doesn't fit anyway. A dollar says it's such a negligible item dealers don't know they're worthless. Since I was there I used 3m strip caulk, and hopefully fixed a stripped hole for the blower relay, I want to use the #10, they're a cool screw, they have tall heads, I call em' high crown.

Wire harnesses ordered in January, some of those that were due in July are now due in September Missing is the A/C harness, so can't finish duct the duct either.

Everything is painted but an ash tray and column bracket, so can't install the upper steering and brakes nor the temp. controller.

A lot of dependencies at this point. The details, and getting things done COVID comes as a surprise. Timing is everything, I was in the market for parts when it was far better, on the flipside there's the COVID ecomoneyon the end.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote