View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
kipps

Re: Fan Relay —selection/wiring

I'm holding a '87 tbi fuel pump relay and connector. I intend to pick up two or three more at the pick-and-pull, to use for two fuel tanks and a headlight relay(operated with the key switch).

Assuming mine is the same as yours, which it looks like, it's not a weather pack, but is a metri-pack.

Looking in the bottom side, I see pins D and F are metri-pack 280 blades(2.8 mm wide). These being smaller, it stands to reason they are the signal wires coming in. It doesn't matter what's ground and what's hot between them, since they are simply either side of a small coil of wire. In the stock application, one of those pins was connected to ground, and the other to a switched hot through the TBI ECM.

The three large pins are labeled A, C, and E, and are metri-pack 640 blades(6.4 mm wide). These are the switched load. Your diagram is a little vague. My diagram was merely printed on the relay, and has long since rubbed off, along with the part number.

I attached a diagram from google that shows the correct wiring for this relay in the stock application. Note that E is normally connected to C. When 12 volts are applied across D and F, this moves E to A, leaving C disconnected.

Again, confirm these pins match up with the attached diagram using a ohm meter. I'll do so myself before installing them in my application just for peace of mind.
Attached Images

kipps is offline   Reply With Quote