View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #54
Johns 66

Re: Where does a guy start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
My opinion of the undercover speakers, is they will sound like a glorified factory radio, pointed at your ankles. But, they have there place.. Where you just want to listen to something, and have no where to properly hide speakers. I think you could do better with rear corner speakers for less than the $ of undercover.

For now, don't worry about # of channels or watts, etc. Lets nail down the type of system you want. You can always add as you go.

Channels are the number of amplified outputs going to speakers. For example, a typical car radio has 4 channels. Front left, Front right, Rear left, Rear right. When you get into custom applications and multiple speakers, then channels become important. The retrosound head unit is a 5 channel. Front L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer. You do not have to use all the channels.

I am assuming this is going into a 66 pickup? This will be a challenge... It sounds like you're keeping a dash mount radio. If so, then I would get a Retrosound head unit.

Next, install the dash speakers you already have. If you want more, we can go from there.

Here's where it can go 2 ways:
4 channels powered from the head unit. (typical factory car radio setup). 2 in the dash, and 2 in each rear corner.

Semi-custom; Subwoofer (bass), mid-range, tweeter. This will require one or more amps and the price goes up significantly. I was just looking at 66 dash pictures. There is no where to put a speaker. Your best bet is upholstered panels in the kick panel below the vent. Though speaker choice will be very limited, you will somewhat be able to aim them.

One more question.. What does your daily driver have? Simple radio and speakers, or a factory premium system?

Hope this helps. Like I said start with a head unit, and go from there...
Last question first...My daily driver is a 19 GMC Double Cab AT4...it has the factory Bose speakers and whatever factory radio comes in it....It sounds really good for what it is and have no plans of changing it.

This will go in my 66 C10...It has a BBW cab. Im not sure I can have corner speakers behind the seat at this point...I bought a new gas tank that is 24 gallons and it goes from side to side but haven't mounted it permanently . I did mount during mock up make it fit but that's been awhile ago.

While working on my truck today I looked at places I could mount speakers....Some sound crazy but not really feasible...

Mount under dash pointing toward floor board.....Nah that wont work.

Make a mount for the upper part of the firewall pointing toward the rear....Nah that will look funny and thrown together.

So more realistically I have basically 2 choices....either kick panel speakers or speakers in the fresh air vents.

I will mention that before I took it all apart the truck had a cheap radio mounted under the dash and a speaker in each door 6" round speakers...It played pretty loud and wasn't really distorted but was pretty much a stock interior...rubber mat etc....

So heres my thoughts...again Im a total noob at this and really just throwing out ideas.

If I can fit them.... places 2 corners speakers behind the seat( not sure what size or type)...Place some kinda small sub under the seat to give it a little bass...the 2 speakers in fresh air/Kick panel ( again not sure what type or size) and the center 2 speaker I have already bought,,,Plus the restosound head unit that you mentioned.
Thoughts?
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote