View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #94
robnolimit

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Can you explain why this is?

I'm imagining two shock locations, one in front and one behind the axle and both mounted to the frame rails. Both locations are selected for identical shock angle and length. I'm considering the frame to be actually stiff between the two shock mounting points. The only difference that I can think of here is the force applied to the shock due to leverage, which can be compensated for with different valving.
well, yes and no. Yes, it's leverage and force, it's also shaft speed of the shock. And, while it is reasonably true that custom valving and spring rates can be fitted to be a perfect match, the question is, are they available? Look at the current crop of aftermarket coil-over. Do they spec 'front' or 'rear' valve codes? Remember that most 'front' shocks are at close to 2 to 1 leverage ratio, and most 'rear' shocks are at a 1 to 1 ratio, or close. Factor in the weights and it is clear that the typical front shock need 4x the valving resistance as compared to a rear shock (very wide liberal estimate for discussion) While they do offer adjustable valving, it is all in a set range. So , our job is to use what is available, test it on a shock dyno, set the valving range and then design a way to use off the shelf parts and make them work to the best of their ability.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote