View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #35
Dan in Pasadena

Re: WARNING: RANT! #!*%’g Aftermarket Side Windows & Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
looks good dan
Thanks but it doesn’t look all that great up close.

Quote:
I made a 1/4'' plywood template of the window and hammered the wrinkles flat.
I should have done something like that but by that point I was so thoroughly frustrated with the entire job I just wanted it behind me. I’m sure I’ll regret how it looks.

Quote:
I used double sided tape to hold the anti-rattle strips in place. They needed 4 holes for micro-screws, I figured I'd chip the paint using a drill in that place. Double sided tape to the rescue Anytime I used double sided tape I made sure to use the adhesive primer, once it's stuck it's there for good
I’m not sure what kind of double sided tape you’re talking about? Obviously not the ordinary kind you can buy at Home Depot, etc?

The plastic tabs they come with are a little too wide for the holes in the doors. On the YouTube video the guy shows that he cut these tabs down, but there is no mention of using tape, etc. I'm hoping the tabs go into the holes easily but they wont with bare hands-I tried. Also, did you cut yours shoter on the curved end to butt up to the fuzzy channel or did you tuck them behind the fuzzy channel? Mine seem too long there.

Mine came with some kind of rubbery strip on them but it’s not adhesive. On yours did you remove the rubbery stuff to put on the tape? Or did yours not come with that? I was considering using the same 3M black trim adhesive I used to install the fuzzy channel. Is there a reason I SHOULDN’T use that?

Oh and PS to this whole debacle: The windows dont go up and down easily. I’m almost afraid of stripping the handles unless I use my other hand to “help.” The fuzzy stuff seems a bit tight, and the whiskers will probably only make this worse.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-10-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote