View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
siggyfreud

Building a Custom GMC Dash Bezel from the ground up :).

Hey all,

Thoughts I'd document my quest to build a custom GMC dash bezel. Looks like a few companies out there make aftermarket plates where you can get the gauge configuration to your liking, but it seems like all of them require that you have an original bezel to hack up and use for the trim piece.

My goal is to create something that could be used standalone, without having to hack up an original piece.

I'll either be printing it, or milling it from plastic block. For my truck, I'll be routing some carbon fiber as the background to give it a little pop.

Here is what I've done so far:

1. A forum member was kind enough to send me an original piece I could measure. I took measurements, but also scanned the piece on a regular scanner, and then drew out the outside path in Illustrator:

2. Next I imported the outline into sketchup, and starting building the model around the outline. I used a digital micrometer to get as close to the original specs as I can. That said, there are some tapers here and there I didn't include, hoping they won't be critical to the end-fit. If they are, I'll modify and print again.

3. With the outline to scale, I started thinking about gauge placement. I also wanted to include a New Vintage indicator set, so I made a space for that:

4. From there I added spaces for my other 4 gauges, colored the plastic areas black, and the carbon fiber with a carbon pattern:

5. Then I cut and paste my gauge faces for a final mockup.

Next steps:

My machine should arrive 1 week from today. It'll take me awhile to set it up and learn the ins and outs, but hopefully in the next month or two at the latest I can begin printing prototypes to test-fit.

I intend to update this thread as I make progress .

Cheers all!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote