View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #102
54belair

Re: Where/How did you find your Truck ?

After first deciding on What I wanted, then the quest became less interesting. I knew I wanted a project, and I knew it would become an "every nut, bolt and screw" type of build so I had to find the best project that I could--at the best price and at a reasonable distance from home.
I checked the usual places--Ebay, and all craigslist ads for 200 miles around. I found two candidates, one in tulsa and the other in the KC area. Price was essentially the same for both, distance was also close to the same. Both trucks needed rockers and ??, so, I ended up choosing the one in tulsa.
Even though it probably doesnt matter Ive always wondered if I made the best choice.

Two and a half years later, over 500 hours into the project, I am at a point of re-assembly. It has been totally disassembled, blasted, welded, sanded, massaged as needed and painted. Most everything on the truck has been replaced or upgraded---and it is now patiently waiting for me to get a new blast of enthusiasm after a cold winter so that I can reassembly it and put it back into service. During the construction I have been able to trace most of the history of the truck (wont make it run better or quicker, but interesting). A point that was interesting is that for a period of years, the truck was owned by the univ. of Okla. as a maint. vehicle (still has the inventory tag).

The goal is to give it to my grandson someday-----maybe it will be ready for him by the time he is ready for it!! (He is almost 9 !!)
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote