View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #2063
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Talking Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Man, that looks so clean - love the paint. I remember when my painted engine looked that good after it was re-installed LOL

So I am going on day two with my truck in the shop for my frontend refresh. Technically it is not what I am doing to the truck but having done! Seems every step they hit a time suck roadblock. It was decided my break lines needed replacing (I bought front/rear lines because I thought they would want to replace them). The passenger side line was frozen/stuck on and some previous owner mucked them up on top of that. Now they are finally into replacing the ball joints. They aren't coming out like they should and are requiring to be heated up with a torch, yet another time suck.

They expect everything to be back together much later today but there won't be enough time to get the front end aligned (different shop). Which I guess that is also time consuming because it requires shims to get aligned. I hadn't even asked for a estimate because they thought they would be done in a day. Now we are looking at two full days of shop and then the alignment on Monday. I kind of started freaking on the call this morning but he assured me he is not counting the clock and so far I am still under my high end number. That is assuming they don't run into more roadblocks. But at least the whole front end, rubber brake lines, and my sway bar will be all done.

It seems Peace of Mind can get costly LOL
I'm in part's prison myself, A/C pending Original Air's high sign to send, and word is the wiring will take another four months, and that might be optimistic.

Costly is right, and thanks above. While I do most of the work myself less body, finishes and cores, I've probably blown 2K on just do-overs and not quite right and another 4K for the garage.

Have to say the details at this point come at a surprise, already removed the radiator once just to get the lines slid in. Slid the fan shroud in like butter last night to find it's too short for the top brackets, so I'll try cutting the top pads, but I may have to cut the bottoms too, meaning I'd have to re-adjust the trans. lines. And I get to install the fan again only to pull it again, and again and again The good news is I can slot the slots in the fan shroud if I have to. Should see the old shroud, on one side a hole was drilled three places beyond the factory slots

EDIT: Radiator pads have little or nothing to do with fitting a shroud Just ordered two new pads speak of do overs, and looks like the top radiator brackets will need refinishing too. I don't know how GM got those shrouds on right without bending the top bracket, anyone? Could be why so many shrouds were torn up at the bottom by fans. Don't know about small blocks, but the bottom shrouds for a BBC have a clip that slides into the core support.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-17-2021 at 01:37 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote