View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #2
MTCK

Re: 1984 K30 Project Plow Truck

I wheeled into the Matsu School District maintenance facility about a week later to claim my prize. The truck was running, windows defrosted and lights on. Great. After some paperwork, the guy handed me three sets of keys, told me the battery was shot, so don't turn it off. OK. I asked if they needed the decals, government plates or radio. OK. Away we go. It was 50 miles back to my buddy's place where I would give it a quick once over before the 360 miles to home.

The fuel gauge was pointed at 3:00 and a sticker stated only the right tank was to be used. This is getting exciting. The dash only had idiot lights. I wonder if they work... The fuel selector was pointed at the left tank and I didn't dare touch it. I headed down the highway and stopped at the first filling station I came to. It took 10 gallons and the fuel gauge returned to the full position. Cool, just needed to knock the sending unit loose. The motor sounded wound tight at 60 mph, so I kept that as my top speed.

About 40 miles into my 50 mile maiden voyage, my windows started to fog. Great. I could smell the sweet scent of ethylene glycol just before the heater core let go and steam started shooting out of the defrost vents. I pulled into the destination driveway as the coolant temp light came on. Hey at least it works. What have I gotten myself into...
Attached Images

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote