View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
TA1754

Re: 58 chevy truck amp gauge wiring help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Both wires are positive since it measures the amperage going through the positive side of the circuit. You are reading the normal voltage potential between positive and ground, and stating that they are constant hot to ground sounds like they are shorted to ground, which is not what you meant.

Prior to 1963 all the positive current ran through the Amp meter which only read up to 60 amps. GM decided to go to a battery gauge which only measures a tiny current that shows whether the alternator is charging or not.
It also reduces the fire hazard from a short with this type meter, since it is fused only with a fusible link at the battery.

This is your wiring diagram and not knowing which wire goes to which side of the ampmeter only means that the meter will read backwards showing negative amperage (discharge) when it is really charging. You may be able to read the diagram and figure out which of your wires goes where.

Attachment 1669754

You probably have a generator instead of an alternator as shown in the diagram but the general wiring is the same.
I appreciate your input, I have an alternator, as previously stated when I started the post, my entire drive train is from a 77 Chevy malibu.
The 2 wires from back of the gauge are not shorted to ground.
My test leads one on ground, other on a wire is reading 12 volts.
I was told that if I had both wires off the back of the amp gauge that only one wire should have constant 12 volt reading, but I'm reading 12 volts on either wire.
Yesterday I removed the wires at the alternator, & was still reading 12 volts on either wire.
TA1754 is offline   Reply With Quote