View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #298
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Now with everything pretty much buttoned up, it is time to move onto the thing I have been dreading the most! WIRING HARNESS! Let me just say before I get started......I hate this $%@#! Seeing as how I have analness disease, I don't have to tell you how much I hate messy, bundled up, spaghetti looking wires. I hate it behind my computer, behind my TV and certainly in my truck! So with that being said, this may take me forever, and 3 or 4 wiring harnesses to get it to a point which I am happy.

Also let me say this before I get started.
DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about wiring a truck! So please, anybody watching and wanting to copy something I do, PLEASE DON'T! I don't want to see anybody burn their truck or garage down because of something stupid I am about to do. We will all have enough fun watching me burn my owntruck and garage down

So my choice was to go with American Autowire. They got great reviews and the kit seemed to be pretty much complete so there is no need to go looking for other parts like trun signals and switches. Also they are about an hour away from were i live so when I screw something up I can shoot down and get another hundred foot of wire.
[/URL]
American Autowire is so good they even know I am a friggin idiot so they sent me some practice wires!
[/URL]

For those of you who have been following along, You know I have alot of back problems so much so I decided to mount the fuse block under the seat on a sliding drawer for easy access. Unfortuanetly i will still have to get somewhat contourted when it comes time to make a few connections under the dash.
[/URL]
I decided to run the wires out the bottom of the seat riser, along the top of the frame rail, and back up into the cab up to the dash.
[/URL]
I started off by taking each harness and running the individual wires towards their final location. This way when it comes time to do the final button up, I can wrap all the wires that go to the rear portion of the truck together and what ever goes to the front the same way, as well as what ever goes from the fuse block to the dash can all be wrapped together.
[/URL]
In an effort to keep everything as neat as possible under the dash I took a piece of aluinium angle and drilled a bunch of holes in it so I could mount some wire loops to it. This will mount under the dash to the radiator core support braces. It will give me a place to attach all my wires once they are wrapped with wire loom.
[/URL]
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote