View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #45
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Burb Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by noteron View Post
badazz az alwayz!!! Stop making it look so easy... Im starting to think I can do it too...
But it is real easy. All I do is push these projects into the shop, close the door and it just happens. Doesent your shop work the same way But really thanks it has been along road but one anyone can take. Just give it a shot and it will start getting easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
What's the blue stuff on the door?

Do you dolly after each tack, or after a series? Is the procedure with the TIG similar to that of the MIG? I also have a TIG that I've only played with a little bit, practice pieces and a few tube adapters. I want to get good with it, but can't seem to find the time to practice.
The blue stuff is a machinist dye used for doing layout on steel. It is super thin almost like a stain and not a paint. I then take a body file and go over the area to knock down any hi spots then I run a long board with 80 grit over the area to see were things are. Then I know what to do from their to get the best metal finish that I can do at this point in time because it is a new process for me.

Tig is far superior to Mig for doing body work because the welds are softer and they can be worked with a hammer and dolly much better then Mig can. Also a proper Tig weld is much flatter then Mig and this means less grinding to get it flat and that means less heat and less work hardening. As far as do I hammer and dolly each tack or after a few it just depends on what it is that I am doing.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Well it is really starting to take shape now. I started and finished the upper rail tonight and started tacking the door together. I still have allot of work to do before it is finished but I can sure see the light now.

I used shims for spacers to keep the gap even.

More Tig welds.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-26-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote