View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #99
jltait

Re: 85 GMC Sierra Classic 1 Ton Crew Cab

Matt,
I did a little research. I previously thought gm stopped using that style adapter in '80 or '81, turns out it appears they used it through '84. I had to think long and hard 'bout that, The only '80's trucks I have had were '85's and newer, so it makes sense I was wrong 'bout when the went to that mount. I probably assumed they did it in '81 when then the body/frame was revamped. Anyhow, I am thinking the crossmember with your adapter should work with the (2) piece individual mount isololators I referred to in my previous post. As long as the individual rubber mount isolators will straddle the raised "spine" of the crossmember I sent. I think the crossmembers generally mad for that type adapter/mount have an oblong hole, so you may need to adjust for that. I would mock it up and put an angle finder on the engine, it should sit nearly level to the frame with a few degrees drop to the rear of the engine. Probably 2.5-3*. I am not sure wether the 4x4's had a lower mount for the carrier bearing or not, maybe you can get another crew cab 4x4 member to post some pictures of his carrier bearing support. I would not think the 2" typical difference between 2wd and 4x4 would call for a height change in the bearing but not sure.
good luck..!!
Jason
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote