View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 12:48 AM   #9
Rust-O-Matic

Re: DIY white wall buffer/cutter jig or machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
buy white walls
Hey, I'm takin donations if you'd like to contribute.

I like your style, spacedebris, you have my wheels turning. Those are exactly the type of ideas I am looking for. I hadn't really thought about just a rotating platform. I kept picturing a spare hub and wheel studs holding the mounted tire vertically, but a lazy Susan type platform with a vertical tube to center the wheel would be simple and cheap. Could be used regardless of lug pattern too. I have an old drill press motor or two laying around I could use to make it rotate on its own. And I bet the local farm store has some kind of flange bearing that could be used to support the platform. Most of the skaters I grew up with have all succumbed to the realities of adulthood (haircuts and real jobs, so to speak), so spare trucks are few and far between these days.

For the cutter holder, the two verticals idea sounds simpler to me than the adjustable arm version, though that's what the real machines use. I'm thinking I could fashion a plate of some sort to slide along the horizontal pipe spanning between the two verticals, and attach the grinder to that plate (sideways so the disc is spinning vertically) with bolts threaded into the holes meant for the handle. Then the grinder could be slid side to side, perfectly perpendicular to the tire, and could be tilted up or down as necessary for cut depth, and to follow the profile of the sidewall. I would think this would provide a steady, stable means of controlling the grinder.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote