View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #3442
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Woke up, showered, checked internet and forums the next morning.

Filled the cooler with fresh Free hotel ice as Craig had filled it the night before to prime the sodas and beers (unused) and took it and our small traveling backpacks down to the truck to pack it up.
All our stuff, untouched as expected, but still such a different experience to South Africa, England and possibly many other places.
The parts of the USA that I have travelled now, keep my head and heart in a great place when it comes to this sort of thing.

Remember what I said about chatting to all and sundry?

When we got up and saw how very dirty the glass and mirrors were on the truck, I went in search of some help. Craig got the truck packed etc.

I spoke to a gent in the kitchen, from the Philippines, he was in charge of the kitchen and catering in the hotel.
So once I explained what I needed, he gave me a large wad of industrial strength paper towel with some dishwashing liquid on it to remove the bug wax and brains from the screen, plus a large bucket of fresh water.

Nimble as an acrobat, Craig was straight up (thankfully, because my knackered back had not really let up at all, since leaving England and we were almost headed back)

So between us we washed all the glass and I dried the side windows and mirrors.

Then returned the bucket, and headed for breakfast where the coffee and smell of waffles was calling us in.

All secure and ready to roll.

Right

I think some of you know me reasonably well.

I really do speak to anyone.

Back in the restaurant I saw a challenge, well not really a challenge, but certainly an opportunity.

As I was getting my Froot Loops cereal for brekkie......

In walked an Amish family with their daughter looking just like the stereotypical view we have of them.
I made eye contact with the husband and told him his daughter was absolutely gorgeous, which he accepted.
Obviously there followed a 15 minute conversation between us, the wife respectfully off to the side, but still part of the conversation, and that 4-5 year old, showing the most incredible restraint I may ever have seen in a young child. Most kids would be bored and unpleasant after less than 5 minutes.
They were really interested in our motivations for travelling the roads less travelled as well.
Turns out they and another couple were headed city ways for business and had overnighted in the hotel too.
They are part of the US part of the Happy Egg company and supply a lot of the eggs we get in the U.K. as well.
After wishing each other well on our travels, we all had breakfast while the one went on his mobile for a telephone call and the other presumably worked on emails.

What a refreshing start to my day.

After breakfast we headed out onto the road and for Craig’s mission.

US style “Transit” roadworks trucks.

We did contemplate hijacking this truck for Dennis’ Shell Gas Station project.

Rolling along the Hiway, we eventually found Craig’s target exit and drove into......

Of course his Wife Lorraine had allowed him to head out on the trip with me.
So a tribute would be fitting, despite the spelling and detour which proved to be interesting.
Every village has some vintage trucks and cars to show.
Here there was. Great 1930’s Ford and obvious S10donor parked near a business on some land, but I did not want to just walk in and take photos.

Loved this bit of yard art, he had loads more displayed.

And as mentioned before, restrooms are all free, clean and available in even the smallest establishments.
So before heading out to the motorway we stopped here.

Back into Missouri

Rolling into Hannibal, it became apparent what it was famed for.

Loads of classic and vintage cars here, used as daily and drivers it seems, speaking to owners.

We stopped in the street outside the Mark Twain tourist and information centre and I went in to use the restrooms and also to find out about parking tariffs and limitations as we do try respect the rules.

All parking is free, all day for you was the reply.

So we parked the truck with all of the stuff on and in the rear loaded and went off looking for stuff.

This is certainly another two day town, or possibly more.

So much to see and do.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote