View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: New To Forum: 72' GMC Jimmy with a 302 'Jimmy' GMC Inline 6?

I have a Hot 302 with a .125 over bore, lightweight venolia pop ups .500 lift cam with long duration, 3 two barrels on a high rise, cast header, and a cylinder head with over 40 hours of port work, .100 longer small block Chevy valves. It has been converted to a full flow oil filter set up etc. etc . Its a full on hi po jimmy. A small block with as much effort would easily make 400+hp, I will eat my hat if the 302 makes more than 250hp. A box stock 4.8 would give it a fair run, so imagine what a 6.0 would do to it. Its a Flat Head Killer, (100 hp stock on a flattie)it makes all the right noises, it gets all the looks wherever I go. I have a great time with it, but I wouldn't put it in your Jimmy.
If you want a six, build a 292, they came stock in it, they use a V8 bell housing so the trans issue is solved. Get the Santucci books. Join inliners.org You can make plenty of power and not go to effort and expense( I have approx $17-1900 in mine) that the early motor would require.
I have a spare 302 If you would like to come look at one or buy one. You can come and see the hot one and take a ride, If I can get the crochety old bastard to run. It dropped a cylinder before Christmas, either a rocker backed off or it ate a plug. PM me if you have any questions. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote