View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Wow... bumping a year old thread. Hard to believe it's been almost a year since the hot rod went for a ride in the ditch.

So... life happens. Busy summer last year. Getting our little house prepared all fall and winter long to try and sell very soon so we can move into a bigger place. The truck has been torn down part way and forgotten since last May. Only remembered when I have to trip around it to get to things out in my tiny garage. But... times they are a changin'.

Lots has been happening. The highs and lows of a project that came to a screeching halt (literally) and back shelved as life revolved around us. Almost selling it "as is" and taking a huge loss in the process. Twice. I have to give credit where credit is due... to my wife Angie and my best friend Matt. With those 2 keeping the fires ever so lightly lit... they kept hope where I was hopeless. They talked me away from the ledge as I had all but given up. As so many of you know the exact feeling as a project just seems overwhelming. But... I weathered the storm and am now starting back at getting this thing on the road. To do tasks I have been meaning to do, like tackle all the rust, move the gas tank under the bed, and lower the truck with a 4"/6" drop.

There is a lot of work ahead. I am still readying our house to sell as well. Then I will have to move this project to new digs in the near future. But I accept the challenge.

I have been absent from the board for quite a spell as I lost the desire for my truck. Cruising the board only made it worse for me. But that changed as well. I'm back and participating and have a new found joy in my truck and my truck friends.

Anyhoo... here it sits. Just as I left it back in May of last year. Notice the spark plugs not in their holes and the uncovered exhaust ports? Yeah... me too. Stupid thing to do over a damp PNW winter. But, it was a mistake I made out of haste and really not caring anymore. Will it cost me? We'll see. I squirted some 30wt in the holes and let it set over night. The engine turns easy by hand... so all should be okay.

Glad to be back. Ol' "Creeping Death" will roll again.

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.