View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
skizzik

Re: Seeking advice - rebuilt engine failed within 1,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Combine this with not knowing any actual machine work done only that "every part is replaced" worries the crap out of me. Did this cost you $2,000+ to rebuild? Cause that's the going rate when having someone else do the disassembly and re-assembly of the engine itself not counting install into the truck.

You know the head gaskets are done. Pull the engine and get it checked over before going any further. Find a real shop not an edge of town barely speaks english no reciepts or warranty guy living in a tent.
I spent $1,200 for a "rebuild", radiator, and R12 recharge. It might've been $1,500, but I'm pretty sure it was $1,200. The mechanic has a lot full of old cars, and a couple shop buildings. He's a mechanic for a living who's been doing this for decades and I thought was trustworthy, but I do suspect something faulty with his work.

I had a different mechanic look at it today. It took a little bit to start (I think because of lack of compression), but it did start and sounded fine to the both of us. There was white smoke coming out of the tailpipe along with some liquid. It rain for about 15 seconds and then I started seeing the coolant reservoir tank rapidly bubbling and we shut off the engine. I tried a few hours later to start it and couldn't (maybe there's water in the cylinders now).

He suggested getting a new engine or at least a new short block (bottom half) and having him put it in. The maintenance guy who works at my apartment suggested that I learn how to replace the head gaskets myself (he learned himself on his old truck), but that seems like quite an undertaking.

Last edited by skizzik; 03-03-2017 at 08:23 PM.
skizzik is offline   Reply With Quote