View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #23
speedygonzales

Uh not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzik View Post
Thanks Kim. I had a mechanic do a compression test, and he said it failed and indicated the head gasket had failed.
Has anyone looked at the quality of the oil and see if it at least looks like a milkshake????? Has anyone looked at the plugs to see what they indicate? Coolant would be real noticeable on the plug.

A compression test will indicate there is low compression only. It can not point to the cause. In most cases a low compression test is related to bad valves. I don't think this case is like that however.

He's making an assumption that because it's over heating and there is 1 or more cylinders with low compression, the 2 must be related. Not the best way to trouble shoot but it allows him to make an opinion without charging.

What should have been done was a leak down test. Also a chemical check of the coolant to see if it has combustion gases in it. IF the leakdown test produces bubbles in the coolant, no need for a test of the coolant.

At this point the head on the side in question should be pulled to see if it is indeed just a gasket or something mores serious like a crack. At that point the quality of the cylinder walls can be evaluated.

A clear understanding of a test to confirm or deny a suspected problem will be very helpful. Go where the test indicates and understand EXACTLY what each test will show or in this case, not show.

FWIW I'm putting my money on a cheap (went bad) head gasket.