View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Zone47

Re: Smoke and flames from under the dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I would check the switch with a ohm meter and if the start contact is fused I would replace the switch. I have been down the tear it apart and fix it road. It can be done. It is a pain. Parts will want to fly away. And in the end the contacts are damaged and once cleaned up with a file they may not make good contact with each other then you have the opposite problem. I would also check the neutral safety switch, the firewall connectors, and the connection at the solenoid for damage too. If the switch checks out with the meter then you may have a starter issue.

Yes! Burning wires under the dash are a big issue. At least you weren't crossing the traps at 105+ in the dark with no lights except the red glow shining through the smoke from under the dash.
Thanks, I'll have to dig into it more tomorrow .... I imagine there new switches available, I'm just not sure if they will connect up properly. I might as well dig into the old one first and see what went wrong.

I'd like to find a schematic of the wiring on this truck to see what is supposed to be fused. Things tend to sometimes change over 50 years.

Yeah, it could have been a bad scene.... I mean anywhere down the road it could have happened and I don't normally carry any pressurized fire retardant with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
when you do get it fixed you can add a fusable link so that doesn't hopefully happen again . the purple wire is 12 gauge so use a 6 inch piece of 16 gauge wire at the starter solenoid to the purple wire .

Thank you, good idea!
Zone47 is offline   Reply With Quote