View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #59
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Updates?
Ya, some minor stuff. Got some big updates coming within the next month or so.

Hmm, let see. What have I done to it since the last update. Oh, yeah…..added some of those neat Cabela’s seat covers a while back as well as bolted on some bicycle drink holders to the front of the console. Stole this idea from Zoomad75. Got this same set up in my K10 as well.

Also had some exhaust work done a while back. The stupid cat was banging on the frame and the idiots that built the last tail pipes had them routed under the rear leaf springs so every time the suspension was articulated it would break the tail pipe hangers. I had the exhaust shop hack off the cat, install a “Test” pipe and bend up some to new tail pipes. They needed to be reworked to make room for the ORD shackle flip anyway. Turned out pretty nice and sounds better without the cat too.

Plenty of room now for the ORD shackle flip

Same exhaust exit configuration as the ’78 K10.

As I mentioned, there are bigger updates coming shortly. As some of you may have read I decided to scrap my dad’s ’78 K20 wrecker, which a few buddies and I did last weekend. The front D44 and rear 14 bolt full-floater picked from the wrecker are going into the Suburban in a few weeks along with the full ORD treatment (rear shackle flip, front HD shackles, 4” front Alcan springs, sway bar disconnect, blah, blah, blah). This week I’ve been busy going through the rear axle to get it ready for the swap. The rear axle from the wrecker had 13” rear brakes. My K10 only has 11” rear brakes so I am swapping the rear drums and backing plates from the K10 over to the Suburban’s new axle as the much heavier K10 could use the 13” brakes much more than the Suburban will ever need them. The front D44 also needs some major TLC. Plan on replacing the ball joints, all steering joints and axle shaft U-joints before the swap as well.

The Suburban also had a date to visit a body shop any day now to deal with the bondo crack in the lower right quarter panel as well as to remove the surface rust from the rockers then get a coating of bed liner. Like my K10, the Suburban will have bed liner from the moldings on down. I haven’t decided on the bed liner color yet but it will probably be black. Got kind of lucky on this portion as I am trading the 4.3L V6 from the truck I did the big block swap in for my FIL a few months ago for the body work. I just hope this dude doesn’t skate on me before much longer as he already has put me off 2 more weeks. He wants this 4.3L for his boat…it he doesn’t hurry summer will be over where he may not be so anxious to get his boat going.

If everything else goes as planned I am hoping to start on the NV4500 swap in December. Should be an easy swaperoo in this rig as I am planning to use the 32 spline NP241 that is already in it.

As I’ve been driving the Sub back and forth from the airport I’ve discovered it has a drinking habit. It seems to like to drink a quart of oil every 500- 600 miles! Odd as it doesn’t smoke and the plugs do not show signs of oil fouling. It doesn't even drop a single speck of oil on the ground. I still need to try a PCV valve but figure it will probably be getting an 8.1L swap next summer regardless. Until then I guess I am just going to move the Suburban over to running on used oil instead of new stuff. The TBI 5.7L can barely pull a greasy string out of a Coke bottle anyway. The new 4:10 axles should help squeeze more usable power out of it though. The 3:42 gears in it now suck!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote