View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #244
buffydores

Re: 1978 Russet Metallic 4x4

Hey Folks: Got the rig back. I put 50 miles on it today and checked things over. It bled a quart of transfer case fluid over everything because the speedo cable was not even finger tight. Easy fix, but highlighted an interesting tidbit. The end housing was clocked clockwise about 90 degrees from where I remember it before the rebuild. Wonder if that's the proper setup. This transfer case had been worked on before so who knows what happened.

The rear diff cover is dope. I like the stiffening bolts that keep things from flexing inside. I had it powdercoated black because, unless it is a Hickey cover, I really don't want too much attention there. The magnetic drain plug is a nice feature.

They got the new fuel setup installed and the driveline slop is gone...so silky smooth. I'm afraid the bill for this work was aggressive; however, quality mechanic work rarely comes cheap. Wish I had the time to do the work myself, but three young children and the need to get it ready for the Copperstate Overland trumped shop time for me this time.

Last edited by buffydores; 09-16-2017 at 12:12 AM.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote