View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #289
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

After seeing Mikey and Gary's progress in their Father and son build I realized I've been lacking in the update department on my own thread. Since the dual battery setup went in I've added the beginnings of my onboard air system. 2.5 Gallon tank is mounted. Compressor is mounted and it's been plumbed up with hoses.

Onward to pics...

This is the smittybuilt air tank I picked up, which also came with all the lines and fittings to build an onboard air setup. I did have to pick up a pressure switch and check valve to complete it, but it's a decent start.

Looking up from underneath. This is directly behind the winch/bumper combo. I've moved the blowoff valve to a different port so it's not low hanging fruit off road.

My Jeep buddy John got me this for my birthday this year. It's a nice creature comfort item that is really nice to add to the truck.

Didn't take much to setup, but not having the interior paneling of a uplevel truck made it a little challenging to hide the wiring. I ended up stuffing it behind the gasket for the windshield.

Mounting point for the compressor. Fabbed up some brackets and mounted them to the core support with some rubber isolators for the compressor to the brackets.

Plumbed up. Unfortunately after getting this running I was fixing some minor leaks at fittings, I powered up the compressor and it stopped running when it hit 55psi. Earlier it had ran up to 115psi without an issue. It never worked again. Got to get a bigger one..

Oh yeah I finally got my electric speedo working. Long story short, having 12v on the ground to the DRAC module tends to keep the setup from working. Re-ran the ground and it started working again. Plus with the mods done to the DRAC with what I found online got the speedo dialed in dead nuts on accurate. Speedo is right in line with GPS readings from my phone.

Biggest addition is changing out the shocks. My right rear started leaking. Plus the rear shock mounts need to be cut off and replaced with ones in at a better angle. After much research one common thread came through. "Buy the best shocks can afford." I had my parts guy do some digging on the part numbers from Bilsteins website for K5's I found and he scored big time. Got all 4 for under $350. Fronts are in. Very happy with the results. Need time in Larry's garage to cut the axle mounts off the rear and weld on some new ones from Ruffstuff. Then I can pop in the rear Bilsteins.

Tried out the front shocks on a little sunday drive up to Cripple Creek last weekend. Amazing difference.

The road follows Four Mile Creek most of the way up. Sometimes it's close like this, other times it's a 100ft or better below. Probably where they got the name for the road. It's known as Shelf road for a reason thats for sure.

After looking for a place to eat in Cripple Creek we bailed for Victor which is on the other side of the states largest working pit gold mine. Had a great lunch and headed back on Phantom Canyon road. The road follows the old grade for the Florence and Cripple creek railroad that ran from 1894 to 1915. It has many wood lined bridges and two tunnels along the way. I like this photo as it really represents Three centuries in one shot. 1800's for when the tunnel was cut, 1900's when the K5 was originally produced and 2000's for when I took the shot.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote