View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #213
54belair

Re: My grandsons 68 stepper

Ok, its finally spring (?) and I have started on the final punch list for My Grandsons 68 stepper! Last fall got busy so nothing was fixed/changed. I have most or all the parts required to make this truck run and drive as it should.
First on my list is the power steering gear (again). I found a business, somewhat close here in Mo. that does an excellent job on rebuilding gears and pumps (that's all they do), I gave the guy my specs, and he built me a new gear box. (Same price as Red head--but much closer). Today I took the truck to my local shop since I didn't want to do this particular job myself.
Once again murphy stuck his head in!! They got the new gear mounted and ready to attach input coupler----and it wouldn't fit!! After some calls and hair pulling--I found out that my original gear was an early casting (which it should have been)--but down thru the years, someone rebuilt the gear and installed a post 1977 input shaft.-- This meant that now I have the wrong Coupler assy since my original gear had a 3/4" input shaft instead of the 13/16" shaft it should have had. Turned out to be an easy fix, although not an inexpensive one. Had to air freight in a new coupler. Ive never seen one part that has so many variations (both factory and DIY). At least now I have the correct gear box with the correct hydraulic hoses and the correct size coupler!!! Hopefully, Ill never have to think about power steering gearboxes again.
Next on the "rebuild" this year after the truck comes home is to address the seat issue and the power brake issue.
I need to change out the Master cyl./booster assy. complete with linkage. Before I can attack the linkage under the dash--I have to remove the seat.
The large comfortable seats that I went with just don't allow sufficient leg room, especially when youre working the clutch and shifting. I decided to replace them with a set of TMI low back buckets very similar to the oem buckets in size. The tmi seats mount to the cab using the original floor mounts and should give more leg room. Ive only put about 15 miles on the truck since it was completed it last august.
Over the winter months I addressed an overheating issue on this truck but spent most of my time thru the winter on other projects. I'm really wanting to get the truck finished (???) (!!!!) once in for all---I really like driving it and am looking forward to putting some miles on it. Last summer I spent most of my time building up my 66 chevelle but after all the work on it, I still like this truck better!!!! When there is something to actually see on this retro-fit Ill post more pics especially of the interior.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote