Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #94
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

OK class, todays topic, rear locators. I chose my words carefully. Diagonal locators, Panhard rods, Watts link, wishbone,...... there are many. More than one way to skin a cat. for street performers, I like a panhard rod. I know, many favor other types. I have two reasons. 1. K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid! - fewer moving parts, easy to set up correctly. 2. Panhard rods allow you to set the rear roll center, and adjust it easily, without a complicated formula. While we may think (dream) about a high roll center with a low center of gravity, we are playing with trucks, not corvettes. High roll centers on the back of a truck will help keep it flat, it will also keep it spinning around. The high roll center plan works if you have a low C.G. and close to 50/50 weight balance. We dont get those with a p/u. So, you need to create some "side bite" to keep it on line.The lower you roll center the more side-bite you create, thats a plus, also, the lower the R.C., the more the truck leans over (bad). Thats why you need to be able to test/tune. Here's some tips. Made your panhard rods as long as possible, this has less angle change and pulls/pushes the rear less side to side. (Radial Deflection) Try to keep the P.R. close to level at ride height. If you are building mounts, put two or three mount holes on each set of brackets - housing and chassis. Try to start with a centered mount (height) about even with the axle center (height). You can tame some of the induced roll with a sway bar, but this also reduces side bite. It's all a balance. some amount of body roll is OK, as long is you can tune out its bad and keep its good effects. In a truck, at some point you will have to rely on the outside tire to keep you on line, and the tire will be the limiting factor. The trick is to tune up to the ability of the tire, with just enough side bite to keep it stuck.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote