View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Roadkill58

Re: Roadkill's 58 Chevy Stepside

07-03-2009

Got the ignition switch wired a couple weeks ago. Bought a new battery, and decided to see if the chevy would start.
The fuel lines from the tank are disconnected so I used a plastic gas container.

Connected my remote starter, and it cranked over, and it actually fired. I didn't expect it to start so easy.

It had been at least 10 years since it last run (according to the PO). I had changed the oil, and filter last month.

Sounds good for not running for 10years. No rods knocking, or anything. Now if I only had brakes I might take it for a spin. Its an ugly motor but it runs (without that air cleaner).

09-17-2009 I have brakes

After replacing the rubber brake hoses on the front and bleeding the brakes I have a full pedal and it stops but doesn't sound too good. I got a brake bleeder kit from harbour frieght. For $19.00 (on sale) its a bargain. You can bleed the brakes by yourself.

Ordered a disk brake conversion kit from CPP. Can't wait for that to show up. ordered a new fuel tank to fit under the bed. Im tired of trucks with the fuel tank inside the cab.

I actually drove the truck down the road. even took my wife for a ride. She thought it was cool. She didn't see the five gallon gas can (plastic) in the bed and the fuel hose running up between the cab and the bed and into the can.

Hey I had it strapped down it wasn't going anywhere. At least I waited until it had brakes.

After I shut the engine off it wouldn't start again. Nothing nada. I knew the wiring was scary at best. I looked under the dash and found wires twisted together. Some had some tape on them. Most of them had melted together. I rewired the starting and ignition circuit and mounted the switch for the electric fuel pump where you can't see it. Starts right up now. I should have just mounted the 86 IROC (yes I bought another camaro) fuse panel and went from there...

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20