View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #18
AUS64c10

Re: tilt steering for our trucks, aftermarket or later model swap ins?

Things people don't tell you about tilt columns; I don't mean to be negative but I've learnt the hard way on this.

If going after market column there are only two real choices: Flaming River or Ididit. Anything Chinese made is junk you get what you pay for.

With a tilt column the steering wheel will be closer to you due the extra length added to the steering column (inside the cab) to allow for the tilt mechanism.

My truck had a 70's van tilt column in it when i got it and everything worked as it should. Unfortunately it was just too worn out . Replaced it with an Ididit. The Ididit column fits well.

A Ididit column doesn't work 100% with a column shift 700r trans as the lock outs in the column don't match the transmission. Would be fine if I was running a 2 or 3 speed auto trans. When using a 700r or similar 4 speed auto transmission with column shift: The shift lever will sit really low when in Drive. So low you may be able to knock it with your knee. L1 and L2 will be even worse to select and you may not even be able to select L1.

You can use your original steering wheel if you use the 70's chev van column. The original wheel won't work with an Ididit column and I'm not sure about the flaming river one.

Budget on having to replace your intermediate shaft or modify it as a bare minimum.

Combine a tilt steering column and a deep dish steering wheel (3" - 4") and you almost have the perfect set up for a dwarf only issue for them will be reaching the pedals.
AUS64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote