View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #65
'63GENIII

Re: Window felt weatherstrip (beltline weatherstrip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Yes sir, I'm dreading getting to this stage.
And with good reason.

I just finished the passenger door on the '63. I used Precision rubber on the vent window, divider bar and the glass seal as well. All went in fine and fit well. The belt line seals are a bit more difficult though. They are a bit thicker (from the metal backing to the fuzz) and not as wide (from top to bottom) as the originals. In addition, they seem to sit almost 3/16 to 1/4" lower in the door than the originals. I think that it may be in part due to combined differences in the clips themselves and the narrower cross section.

I assembled the door with new weather stripping and left out the belt line stripping. I then tried rolling the window up and it went up all of the way into the upper glass channel. I then installed the belt strips and tried again. No go.

I did however get the window to roll all of the way up.

While the door was apart, I noticed that the regulator was worn among other parts. I was going to replace the manual regs but saw an opportunity to install power regulators (which I have wanted to do for a long time now). I went with the Nurelics set. With the door still off of the truck and my battery jumper pack connected to the power regulator, the window went up smoothly until the window channel hit the belt line. It forced through the belt line and seated in the upper window channel, closing completely.

I have only had the window up and down a few times so far (haven't finished the wiring) but it didn't seem to put much if any noticeable extra strain on the window motor and seemed as if the lower window channel spread the belt line stripping apart as it went up. I will see once Im using them more how everything holds up. It may just wear away some of the "fuzz" over repeated use or may end up snapping the clips off of the belt strips in which case Ill be back to square one.

I had thought of re lining the original belt striping (after I destroyed them on removal) with new felt or fuzz and wondered if anyone has done this or had thought about doing it?

The doors do close much better than before and the vent windows seal up nicely now. The window channels work great so far but the belt line weather stripping doesn't even come close to working right. Time will tell how they hold up.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote