View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #13
weq92f

Re: too many amps, need better alt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Burb View Post
I would be a bit concerned about the 1.0 volt drop alt to battery. Maybe start by putting a larger gauge wire from the alternator to the battery.

Where is the volt meter connected? Under the dash?
Will have to chase it down to determine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Battery should be seeing what the alt is seeing for voltage. I’d like to see a diagram of how your power distribution is set up. Sounds like the remote voltage sensing is not liking however you have everything wired.
A PO installed a new harness, Painless I believe. It's going to be an adventure tracing down the leads to figure out exactly how it's all wired up. The gauge of the leads connected to the alt all appear to be on the small end of the scale and none of them make a direct path to the battery. Appears to me any path to the battery goes through the fuse box, probably through the volt gauge and through some other wiring that is definitely not of the proper gauge.

The cooling fans pull directly from the battery. If the alt doesn't really have a direct circuit to the battery, could the amp draw of the fans on the battery cause damage to the wiring ( possible fire ) between the alt and the battery due to the draw?

As you may have figured, I'm not a great electrical guru!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote